The safety of elevators is an extremely important point in a country like Italy where these machines exist more than in the United States. A presence marked by some contradictions of no small importance, starting from the one that sees our country continue to ignore the prescriptions coming from the European Union for the adaptation of existing plants, despite the many incidents that continue to be narrated by the organs of printing.
It should also be noted that over 700 thousand elevators were installed before 1999, ie the year in which the Presidential Decree 162 eliminated the need for a census at the national level. Moreover, there are many that date back to the first half of the past century which, surprisingly, but not too much, are perfectly up to standard. However, this is an absolutely virtual security level, as they comply with the rules existing at the time they were adopted, but not with the more stringent ones adopted later. Precisely for this reason it is necessary to examine the regulation relating to the safety of lifts with care.
Lifts adjustment in the 2017 European Law
On 12 December 2017 came into force, the European Law contains new rules in order to achieve the qualification to ordinary maintenance of lifts and elevators. The provision has in practice introduced a series of innovations for the adjustment of the elevators starting from the following year, which go to invest in particular the new plants and new installations, a category which includes those put into service after March 16th 2017, leaving instead out of his outreach gl the systems installed prior to the first day of July 1999, despite the first draft of the decree was expected to adapt them.
As far as the safety of the lift is concerned, current legislation provides that emergency maneuvers can be carried out not only by the official maintenance technician , but also by custodial personnel or other competent person who has been authorized by the owner for this purpose ( or from the condominium) and thathas been duly instructed, for example a porter or a condominium who has followed a special course and knows accordingly what to do .
It should also be remembered that in addition to the safety requirements of the condominium lifts, new obligations have to be introduced in recent times to which manufacturers, distributors, importers, and installers must comply , in particular concerning compliance documentation. In particular:
- elevator manufacturers are required to ensure that safety components comply with the law , otherwise they will be withdrawn;
- the installers are in turn obliged to verify the conformity of the lift to the health and safety requirements, as well as to the preservation of all the prepared technical documentation ;
- importers and distributors finally have the obligation to verify that the manufacturer has carried out the necessary conformity assessment procedure before marketing a safety component .
- Among the most important measures , there is then that concerning the extension of the useful term for the communication to the Municipality of the new installation of a lift in order to obtain the serial number , which brings the useful term starting from the conformity certification from 10 to 60 days .
Safety requirements for elevators
The 2017 regulation for elevator installation goes on to indicate very precise safety standards . In particular it establishes that :
- in the case where the system is intended for the transport of people and the size of the compartment so permit, the car must make possible the access to disabled and facilitar n and the maximum enjoyment;
- the suspension and support elements of the lift cabin, including connections and terminal connections , are called upon to ensure an adequate overall level of safety and lead to a substantial reduction the risk of the car falling, taking into account the conditions of use, the materials that have been used and the manufacturing conditions;
- the system must be equipped with devices that are capable to prevent the fall or decomposed movements of the cabin if there is no power or one of the components is subject to failure;
- the lift must finally be equipped with means capable of allow evacuation of the people who got stuck inside it , oltr and that bidirectional communication means so as to be able to establish a permanent connection with an emergency service , allowing prisoners inside the cab to communicate at any time with an operator assigned to rescue.